Best online sports betting sites in South Africa 2022
18+. Only real money wagering with a minimum 1.8 odds qualifies for the promotion. A minimum deposit of $10. Additional T&Cs apply.
Explore the best real money online casinos South Africa has to offer right here. We’ve been busy reviewing the top casinos, all you need to do is choose one from our shortlist. They all accept the South African Rand and offer amazing deposit bonuses to South African players. Try one today to see for yourself.
Our #1 online bookmaker for bettors in South Africa is 10bet.
10bet ™ South Africa
At first glance, 10bet is a sleek and modern sports betting and casino operator that’s packed with action. The website looks nice, it includes a wide range of sports and casino games, and offers plenty of interesting features.
In this 10bet review, we’ll dive under the surface of 10bet and see what’s hiding beneath its polished exterior. We’ll check every nook and cranny to answer why African users should choose 10bet as their go-to sports betting operator! Interested in some 10bet key facts?
- 10bet offers a combination of sports betting, live sports betting, a range of virtual casino games, as well as a Live Casino.
- Players can use several payment methods to withdraw and deposit at 10bet. These include bank cards such as VISA and Mastercard, e-wallets like Skrill and Neteller, and prepaid cards like Paysafe.
- 10bet was established back in 2003 as a sports betting site with several great offers. Over the years, the operator has expanded to include a casino section and several other premium features.
- At the moment, 10bet is licensed and regulated by the Malta Gaming Authority and the UK Gambling Commission. Sportsbook services for players in Ireland are operated under a Remote Bookmaker’s License issued by the Office of the Revenue Commissioners.
Shady online bookmakers we suggest you avoid
Bookmakers don’t make it to our recommended lists automatically. Our South African site reviewers carefully vet each one that hits the market, looking at a variety of factors such as customer support, bonuses, game variety, security, banking, jackpots and payout times.Only those that score highly make it to our list of top – rated South African betting sites.
What happens to the ones that fail? We list below some bookmakers that we would recommend you to avoid. Our sites to avoid are ones that you should exercise the utmost caution with and understand that you deposit real money with them at your own risk.
Sports play an important role in South African society, and betting has been an inseparable part of it. In the rainbow nation, rugby union, cricket, and football are hugely popular, in addition to many other sports, such as basketball, MMA, boxing, and more.
As a result, SA residents have been looking for the best online sports betting sites in South Africa. We’ve decided to offer assistance by creating an in-depth guide to sports betting in the country and providing a list of the most popular online sportsbooks. Read on!
10 Best South African Betting Sites
Our sports betting expert team has hand-picked the best sites offering sports betting in South Africa. We paid attention to the available sports, betting markets, bonuses, promotions, security, trustworthiness, odds competitiveness, and much more. Feel free to examine the list or continue reading to learn more about sports betting in South Africa and how we picked the best platforms.
Sports Betting Sites to Stay Away From
South Africa has a great selection of sportsbooks where you can place bets online. However, some unreliable operators have earned a bad reputation by mistreating their customers. You should stay away from these and focus instead on the most trusted South African sports betting sites.
Our #1 Online Bookmaker for Bettors in South Africa Is 10bet
10bet is one of the most popular online sports betting sites in the world and is available in South Africa. The site has been around since 2003 and offers more than 60 sports, with thousands of betting markets. Here’s a quick overview of the main features of 10bet.
- In-depth coverage of various SA and international sports events — You’ll find a range of sports, including those prevalent in South Africa, such as football, rugby, golf, cricket, tennis, basketball, and more. In addition to some domestic leagues and tournaments, you’ll be able to bet on hundreds of international events.
- Great live betting section — 10bet covers all popular sports via its in-play betting options. You’ll find a range of live betting markets, helpful stats, and instant payouts.
- Innovative approach — Having been in the industry for so long, 10bet has come up with an array of valuable features that can make your betting experience easier and better. Explore the interface and learn how to bet on your favourite sports.
- Range of promotions for new and regular punters — New customers are in for a lucrative welcome bonus. You can now receive a 100% match on your first deposit up to R1,000. The only requirement is to deposit at least R50. Regular customers can enjoy many ongoing promotions, including reloads, cashbacks, correct score jackpots, outright jackpots, and more.
- Top-notch security — One of the main reasons for 10bet’s popularity across the globe is its advanced security, as the platform does its best to stay one step ahead of the cybercriminals and ensure maximum protection of its users and their sensitive data.
- Detailed responsible betting protocols — Even though betting is highly entertaining, we still need to approach it with a certain level of responsibility. The platform offers various tools to ensure safe, fair, and manageable betting.
- Excellent user interface — The platform is designed to appeal to both beginners and experienced bettors, and all operations on it are fast and convenient, starting with the registration process. Signing up and claiming a bonus on 10bet takes only a few minutes.
- Range of payment methods — You can make deposits using popular vouchers, such as 1 Voucher, OTT, Blu Voucher, and EasyPay. Alternatively, it’s possible to use Visa, Mastercard, Ozow EFT, and Secure EFT. Withdrawals are possible via FNB, Standard Bank, or either of the two EFT options.
Popular Online Sports Betting Options in South Africa
Online sports betting in South Africa offers a wide range of options to bettors. In addition to a booming domestic sports scene, they can place wagers on the world’s most exciting sporting events. Let’s check out some of the big sports in the southernmost African nation and why they are popular among online sports bettors.
Football is the most popular sport in the world, with approximately four billion fans. Like many other African peoples, South Africans live and breathe football. The country was even a World Cup host in 2010 and has a popular domestic league called the South African Premier Division, which is available on many online sports betting websites.
Rugby union is a form of rugby played in many nations, including South Africa, and it’s among the favourite pastimes for many of the country’s sports enthusiasts. After all, the rainbow nation won three Rugby World Cups, being one of only two countries to lift the cup three times, alongside New Zealand.
South Africans have loved cricket for many decades. There is a wide variety of domestic cricket competitions to follow, and cricket betting is an attractive proposition for many sportsbooks because of the accomplishments of the national team. In addition to offering South Africa cricket betting, almost all sportsbooks have various other options, including the Indian Premier League, the Ashes Series, the ICC Cricket World Cup, the Asia Cup, and much more.
There have been some legendary South African golfers throughout history, such as Gary Player and Ernie Els, and their legacy has made the game popular across the country. Online betting on golf is available for tournaments around the world, as well as on South African soil for several top tour events.
Tennis is big in SA, as the country has been home to top-performing players, such as Kevin Anderson, Kevin Curren, Louis Raymond, and others. Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open, and Australia Open are all popular choices for South African sports bettors and tennis lovers.
UFC has become a global phenomenon. Sports betting sites have also seen plenty of action in recent years from UFC and other MMA events. On top of that, many residents of South Africa have been into combat sports, enjoying various global and national events.
In sports betting, basketball is one of the most popular attractions, with various betting markets available across multiple competitions. Of course, most of the action centres around NBA games. Speaking of the National Basketball Association, it has done a lot lately to help African nations enjoy professional hoops more. As a result, South Africa has received its own National League. SA basketball fans are also big on betting on international competitions, such as the FIBA Basketball World Cup.
For as long as boxing has been around, it has attracted a loyal following in South Africa. Online betting on local bouts and big world championship fights can be found on licensed online sports betting platforms.
Advantages of Betting on Sports Online in South Africa
South Africa has recently experienced a boom in sports betting, with dozens of online options available nationwide. If you have no experience placing bets on the web, you’re probably wondering what all the fuss is about.
There are many reasons why online sports betting is a popular choice, including the multitude of online bookmakers. But let’s check out the other significant advantages of this type of entertainment.
- Convenience — There’s no need to leave your home and go to a designated shop or racetrack to make a wager. Instead, you can do it from the comfort of your home — as long as you have a stable internet connection.
- Huge selection of sports and betting markets — Online betting sites offer dozens of sports and many betting markets to South African bettors.
- Flexibility — Apart from betting via your PC, you can place wagers via your mobile devices, using a dedicated app or the responsive version of the sports betting site you’re using.
- Range of bonuses — The online sports betting industry is highly competitive, with sportsbooks looking for ways to attract and retain more users. This has resulted in lucrative welcome bonuses and other promotions.
- In-play betting — Placing bets on currently active matches has never been easier, opening up a new world of wagering opportunities. South African fans can bet on a range of sports matches while they are underway using the in-play option.
Online Betting South Africa Explained
If you’re a new sports bettor looking for beginner-friendly sportsbooks in South Africa, this is the section you should focus on. Once you understand how odds work and how to bet on different sports and betting markets, you’ll be able to use any online betting site and place wagers.
How Do Odds Work?
Odds are the numbers shown next to every betting selection, showing the probability of an event taking place. More importantly, they tell you how much you can win if you win the bet. Since sports betting is a global phenomenon, there are different ways to present the odds: decimal, factional, and moneyline. Almost all online sports betting sites in South Africa will let you pick how you want your odds displayed.
Let’s take a look at how each of these works.
As the most straightforward format for expressing probability, decimal odds are popular in South Africa, Europe, and Australasia.
To determine how much you will win if your bet is successful, multiply your wager by the present figure. For instance, if you stake R1 on South Africa against India in cricket at 5.0, your return will be R5. In this format, your stake is included in the odds. Technically speaking, you’ll receive R1 back and R4 in profit.
Sports betting sites in Britain and Ireland typically use fractional odds to display how much you’re likely to win.
To calculate a winning bet’s profit, multiply the fraction shown by the staked amount. When you bet R1 on a 9/1 horse, you will receive R9 profit and your R1 stake back.
American odds, or moneyline odds, are widely used by US and Canadian sportsbooks and bettors.
It is important to remember that $100 is the key figure here. When you place a $100 bet on an underdog, your stake will be returned along with the value displayed. In contrast, favourites’ odds are denoted by a minus sign, indicating how much you must wager to win $100.
Types of Sports Betting Markets and Bet Types Available in South Africa
Betting isn’t complex, but you’ll have to master all possible variations to have the best experience. The following section will cover the three major bet types and popular betting markets available for most sports.
The three bet types most common on online sports betting sites in South Africa are single bet, each-way bet, and accumulator. Let’s see what each means.
- Single bet — Online sports betting doesn’t get much simpler than this bet. You only need to predict the winner of a match or event. Choose the stake amount you want to place. You will receive a winning return on your wager if you correctly call it.
- Each-way bet — Each-way bets are a good choice for events with many participants, such as horse races. With this type of wager, you’re betting on a contender to win or to finish high (you’ll find out how many places your wager lands by checking the sportsbook). You’ll get a return if your selection performs well but doesn’t quite win. Still, the profit won’t be as high as it would have been if the selected participant won the competition. This is usually used in horse racing, meaning it’s not very common in team sports, such as cricket or football.
- Accumulator — Also known as acca bets, accumulators include selections from different events, all wagered on with a single stake. If you guess all of them correctly, you’re in for a huge payout, which is the beauty of this type of bet. For example, you can bet on several different EPL matches and combine their odds. If you’re using decimals, all of them are multiplied. You must multiply the final number by your stake to calculate your winnings.
There is a variety of sports betting markets based on particular matches or events. Some of them are universal, and others are sports-specific. Let’s take a look at the popular options in South African sportsbooks.
- Match betting — Also known as moneyline, this betting market refers to wagering on the outcome of a single match or event. For example, if South Africa is meeting England in a football match, and you put your money on your nation, you’re making a single match bet.
- Outrights — These are also called futures and are bets on the winner of an entire competition. For instance, you can bet on South Africa winning the Rugby World Cup.
- Over/under — If there’s a number of points or goals shown on a sportsbook, you can wager whether there will be more (over) or fewer (under) points than that and get paid if you get it right.
- Handicap (point spread) — Sometimes, sportsbooks assign the favourite a virtual deficit to make things equal. The underdog is given a better starting position. For example, the USA basketball team might have a -20 point spread when playing South Africa. If you bet on the USA, they will have to win by a minimum of 20 points for you to win the bet.
- Prop bets — Many sports betting sites will give you all kinds of propositions you can bet on and win money if they come true.
- In-play betting — This isn’t a single betting market but a collection of options for live matches. If you bet on a live event, you get many additional betting selections.
How to Calculate Your Winnings Based on Odds in South Africa Online Sportsbooks
Investing a lot of time in sports betting online will help you become more adept at calculating your winnings. The following guide will explain how to calculate the return from a single bet and the payout from a double wager.
If you bet on a single selection, you must multiply your stake by the decimal. If the odds are 5.20 and you bet R10, you’ll receive R52 if you win the bet.
If you have two selections, you need to multiply them first. For example, if one selection has odds of 5.00 and the other 3.00, your total decimal will be 5 x 3 = 15. Finally, that number should be multiplied by your stake to calculate your winnings. If you wager R10, you’ll get 150 (15 x 10).
Popular Sports Leagues to Bet on in Sportsbooks in South Africa
It is no secret that the rainbow nation is devoted to sports, so there is no shortage of events happening within its borders. It is still possible to bet on the best action in various sports worldwide on betting sites in South Africa.
Let’s check out some domestic and international tournaments available at SA sports betting sites.
English Premier League (EPL)
The EPL is the most popular national football competition, home to some of the world’s best clubs, such as Tottenham, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool. Every year, England produces the best football in the world, and South African fans can bet on an array of markets for all EPL matches. Since all sportsbooks cover EPL, you won’t go wrong by choosing any of the featured platforms for EPL.
A lot of attention is paid to the performance of the South African national rugby team. Among other things, the Springboks take on other rugby powers in the annual championship. Fans can place bets on fierce battles with New Zealand, Australia, and Argentina in a variety of ways, as the Rugby Championship is covered by most online betting sites in SA.
Currie Cup is the premier domestic rugby union competition in South Africa. It’s one of the oldest organised contests in the country, dating back to 1891.
Currie Cup usually takes place in winter and spring, from June to October. You can wager on Pumas, Blue Bulls, Free State Cheetahs, Sharks, and many other popular teams on many online sports betting platforms offering their services in South Africa.
South African Premier Division
As is the case in many other African countries, football holds a special place in South African hearts, which is why the Premier Division is such a popular competition. Sixteen teams compete in this top-quality league, which received additional attention after SA hosted the World Cup in 2010. The current leader is the Mamelodi Sundowns, a ten-time winner, but if you think they can be dethroned, you can start betting on other teams.
International Test Series
Cricket has been an inseparable part of South Africa’s identity, and whenever there’s an international cricket match, the number of bets is likely to increase in online sportsbooks. This is especially true for the International Test series. Test cricket is the purest form of this sport, with matches spanning over five days.
Turffontein, Kenilworth, Scottsville, and Greyville
Horse racing has been the favourite pastime for many South Africans for over two centuries, with many racetracks available throughout the country. Some of the best action can be seen on tracks such as Turffontein, Kenilworth, Scottsville, and Greyville. More importantly, many of the events happening on them are covered in detail by online sports betting sites in South Africa.
Tennis Grand Slam Tournaments
Tennis was huge in the rainbow nation even before Johan Kriek won the only grand slam ever won by a South African. Players like Kevin Anderson made it even more popular, having reached two grand slam finals.
US Open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros, and Australian Open are all available for betting via online sports betting sites in South Africa, in addition to many other popular tennis events, such as ATP Finals, Cincinnati Masters, and more.
You can bet on The Masters Tournament, The U.S. Open, The Open Championship and The PGA Championship, along with other less popular tournaments on almost all online betting platforms in South Africa. Golf has been the primary sport in the country ever since Gary Player and Ernie Els dominated the world.
In the short time since the Ultimate Fighting Championship launched in 1993, it has gained a large following across the globe. Its regular fight nights have expanded beyond Las Vegas to venues worldwide. South Africa’s top mixed martial arts championship, the EFC, and UFC events are all featured by sports betting sites.
Africa Cup of Nations
Every two years, African nations gather to determine which one has the best football team at that moment. The cup has been around since 1996 and is covered in all reputable sportsbooks that offer their services to South Africans.
The NBA is the most popular basketball competition in the world, so it’s no wonder it has many followers in South Africa. Lucky for them, the NBA is covered in detail in all online sportsbooks, but some offer more competitive odds for basketball games than others.
Basketball National League
Ten teams compete in the Basketball National League, the premier basketball competition in South Africa, featuring the best talent in the country. The tournament is available for betting on many online sports betting sites.
Essential Tips and Tricks for Betting on Sports in South Africa
Even though the element of chance is present in sports betting, you can minimise its effect by maximising your skills. Therefore, if you’re new to the world of online South African sportsbooks, feel free to examine the following tips and apply them to get the best possible experience and avoid the common pitfalls. Let’s check them out.
Rely on Research
Placing bets by following your gut may bring success sometimes, but serious sports bettors rarely do so. Instead, they do thorough research before making any move, and that’s probably the best way to go.
For example, if you’re going to bet on the NBA, knowing the sport, the league, the teams, and individual players, will certainly give you a significant advantage. When betting on individual matches, it’s a good idea to research the past performances of the teams, their head-to-head results, injuries, and more. Weather conditions can make a difference in outdoor sports, such as cricket or tennis, so paying attention to the forecast could be a good idea before betting.
Carefully Pick a Sportsbook
The truth is: the one-size-fits-all sportsbook doesn’t exist. Instead, you need to find a platform that meets your needs. That said, it’s crucial to avoid objectively bad or untrustworthy ones, but you won’t find such betting sites featured on this page. Therefore, we advise carefully reviewing the list of featured options on this page and reading more about each before making your final selection.
Maximise the Use of New User Bonuses and Other Promotions
Each online sports betting site offers some kind of bonus for new players, including deposit bonuses, free plays, cashbacks, and more. We picked the platforms with the most lucrative rewards. Still, we recommend checking all available promos, comparing them, and finding the most suitable ones.
It’s also essential to look beyond the welcome bonus and explore the promotions aimed at regular customers, which are usually available right after you finish using the welcome promo.
Don’t Bet More Than You Can Afford
Establish a weekly or monthly amount you can afford to lose. This way, losing won’t feel as bad, and if you win, you’ll feel great. Don’t raise your stakes to recover losses. It doesn’t work that way, as bettors who chase losses usually end up spending even more. Therefore, it’s crucial to never go beyond your pre-determined sum.
Try Different Bets and Sports
Instead of setting for one sport and one particular type of betting market, we recommend checking all available options in the online sports betting site of your choice. That way, you’ll learn exactly what you like and make sports wagering a fun and exciting activity.
Know When to Stop
Don’t forget that sports betting is, after all, a gambling activity, so it’s essential to know when enough’s enough and stop betting for a while. Ideally, you should set several types of limits on your betting activities.
First of all, you should have a loss limit, meaning that you should stop if you lose the amount of money you planned to spend in the first place. Second, there should be a win limit, meaning you should take a break if you win the amount of money you set as a realistic goal. Finally, there’s a time limit, which is perfect if you spend too much time placing bets. If you decide to bet for half an hour a day, stay within that limit.
If you can’t stick to these limits on your own, explore the responsible gambling tools available in the sportsbook of your choice.
Mobile Sports Betting South Africa — All You Need to Know
The digital revolution has resulted in new trends for online betting sites, many of which have strived to keep up with the times. Because of this, most modern sportsbooks now provide convenient mobile apps that allow you to follow your sports betting action whenever and wherever you are.
These apps are usually available for iPhone and Android mobile phones or tablets and can be downloaded via App Store or Google Play Store. Even if an online sports betting site in South Africa doesn’t feature a stand-alone app, you probably can access the mobile version of the site, which isn’t that different from the app experience. In most cases, sites are made with responsive design in mind, meaning they are adapted for small screens.
How We Review Online Sports Betting Sites in South Africa
Choosing the best betting sites is one of the most important tasks for a bettor. Our professional online betting team considered various factors when finding the best places to bet on sports. In the following section, we’ll provide additional detail, which could help you, should you embark on a sportsbook-seeking journey.
Licences and Trustworthiness
We ensured that all available sportsbooks are licensed by an official regulatory body, meaning they operate legally in South Africa and all other countries where they’re available. We also ensured that the trustworthiness is at a high level for all featured South African betting sites. To do that, we sifted through dozens of forums, blogs, online betting communities, and social media pages to learn whether a site can be trusted.
Bonuses and Promotions
As mentioned, online sportsbooks do their best to attract new and retain existing customers, giving them incentives to come and stay via various bonuses and promotions. It’s your job to analyse the available offers and pick the one that meets your needs.
Of course, there are plenty of scams and invaluable bonuses out there, and we made sure to exclude all platforms with such offers. The logic here is simple — if the bonuses are too good to be true, they probably aren’t, and you should consider them a red flag for the entire sports betting site. You don’t have to worry about that as long as you stick to our list, but you still need to pick the bonus that’s best for you.
Sports, Markets, and Bet Types
Our team understands the needs and preferences of South African punters, and we created our top list accordingly. Therefore, all featured platforms offer a range of options for SA bettors on sports they love the most, including football, cricket, and rugby. We also ensured that the included betting sites offered a range of markets for popular sports.
Banking Options for South African Punters
South Africans are used to using certain payment methods to make deposits and withdrawals from online sports betting sites, including cards, e-wallets, and even cryptocurrencies. Our team carefully examines the banking options accepted on each platform we’ve reviewed, only to include those most compatible with South Africans. This means that no matter which platform you pick from our list, you’ll be able to make quick and secure transactions.
Security and Customer Support
We ensured that all featured SA betting sites included the essential security protocols. In other words, all listed sites feature military-grade security and provide maximum user protection.
Moreover, we tested customer support to see the speed and quality of the responses. All platforms mentioned in our guide passed the test. The good news is that some of them feature better customer support than others, so your questions will be answered faster. However, what matters is that you’ll be able to get the answer on every platform we’ve selected.
Some sports betting sites offer more competitive odds than others, which means you’re likely to win more if you make the right call. Sometimes, the variations between specific selections are minor, but they can make a difference in the long run. Of course, some sites offer better odds for certain sports, and we are confident that all platforms feature decent odds for popular South African leagues and competitions.
We tested all sports betting sites in South Africa on mobile devices to see how they perform. Our team used Android and iOS devices and ranked the platforms according to their performance. All sites featured on this page ranked 10/10, meaning they provide a smooth experience on the move.
Live Sports Betting
Betting on sports live is an inseparable part of every modern online sportsbook, so we tested the available selection and saw the offered betting markets, sports, and more. Moreover, we evaluated the overall live betting experience to determine if the platform provides enough information, live-action stats, and more.
Live streaming is not widespread in online sportsbooks, but it’s a welcome sight. We tested each platform for this but didn’t consider it crucial for the overall experience.
Interesting South African Sports Betting Facts
Here are some interesting facts and figures about the sports betting industry in the rainbow nation.
- Gross gaming revenue in South Africa was R34 billion in 2020, almost R8 billion more than the recorded revenue in 2015, which was R26 billion.
- One in ten South African people makes regular bets in online and land-based sportsbooks. However, casinos remain the most popular form of gambling in the country.
- South Africans spent approximately R14 billion at betting venues in 2020.
Is sports betting taxed in South Africa?
As long as you are betting solely for your own enjoyment, no. Tax authorities in South Africa may prosecute you if you make betting your primary income and refuse to pay taxes.
Which betting sites give bonuses to South Africans?
All reputable sportsbooks offer bonuses. Promotions and special offers are usually aimed at attracting new customers, but existing clients can also take advantage.
Is it safe to bet online in South Africa?
Yes, provided you sign up with a reputable sportsbook. It should be paramount for all bookmakers to safeguard their customers’ money and personal information. Overall, safety is crucial in deciding which sports betting websites are the best.
What to look for when choosing a bookmaker in South Africa?
Online betting sites are chosen based on many factors, including security, bonuses, and betting markets.
Pick an operator with a good reputation and a licence from an official regulatory body. In addition, ensure that the website or app has a pleasant user interface and that a wide variety of sports and markets are available. Explore our list of the best betting sites, as they are all considered industry-leading platforms.
Is it possible to use a betting site on a smartphone?
The answer is yes. It is now common for sportsbooks to have their own apps, and they put a lot of effort into ensuring their apps provide great betting experiences for their customers.
What sports can I bet on in South Africa?
You can bet on all popular sports in the country, including football, cricket, rugby, tennis, golf, boxing, MMA, esports, and much more.